July 8, 2014

DENTAL GRAFT DIARIES: Week 4 (July 1 - 7, 2014)

Tuesday - July 1, 2014: 
The bottom front gums are sore all afternoon and all evening.  Probably too much talking.  Eating pretty much all normal food, just nothing hard or crunchy or anything that sticks to the teeth.  Soup, green beans, grapes, etc.  Trying to feel around the front with my tongue - feels like something is stuck to the front of the teeth.  But I don't see anything.  Probably just plaque.  Using the Ultra Suave - not much removal going on with that thingy. 

Wednesday - July 2, 2014:
Twitching in the lower lip.  Notice palate sore at random times of the day.  Maybe just after eating.  I should pay more attention.  The new gums are sore at the sides. Maybe I should pay more attention to how I am chewing too.  Not that I am eating anything hard, so hopefully nothing affects them adversely.  Haven't been seeing white at the site, but noticed some abrasions on the new gums.  Probably caused by biting into something that is still too hard for them to handle.  Will keep cutting up foods first for now.  Didn't have to talk a whole lot today, so my lip is not as tired as it was yesterday.  But still... when will it feel normal? Ever? I am afraid it never will. But as I get used to it, I will become more comfortable with it. Like it happened after my lip surgery in December 2012.  It did take awhile tho.  I am telling you - the strangest things happen in LA.  Loving it!  It is amazing how this types of experiences make you realize how amazingly beautiful and precious life truly is.

Thursday - July 3, 2014:
The palate still feels really sensitive. Certain patches more than others. Certain patches are softer than others. The front lip is still tight. But I am trying to smile - I just want to be happy today. I don't want to think about all the sad and negative things. I want to be positive. I know things are going to be alright. I will be back to normal soon enough. It has only been 3.5 weeks. I need to give it time. I need to give myself time. I should just concentrate on getting better, concentrate on myself.  Don't get sidetracked and stop recovering.

Interestingly enough, Forbes quote of the day is:
“ Things done well and with a care, exempt themselves from fear. ” — William Shakespeare

My new gums are definitely glad for the day off tomorrow.   Feels like the bottom lip gets tired merely from talking.  Or maybe I am just looking for an excuse...

Friday - July 4, 2014: 
Have not seen any abrasions on the new gums, but I have been cutting up food in smaller chunks so I don't have to bit into it.  Otherwise no changes.  The top still feels squishy.  The skin feels really smooth like it is brand new.  The bottom looks healthy.  The new patch is still a bump on the front, but it is either getting thinner or I am getting used to it.  The  bottom lip is still tight, but I am not limiting its movement.  Even smiling at random handsome men that try to hit on me.  :D  Tho probably not a good idea, since my teeth are in serious need of whitening.  Got brave enough to feel around the front with my tongue.  It is uncomfortable, but it does not hurt.  Still can't really be sure what happen to the membrane.  I have been brushing the site with the Ultra Suave twice a day.   But still not flossing the four that were done.

Saturday - July 5, 2014:
Although still kind of tight and uncomfortable, the new gums look like they are home.  Especially on the left side - thinner and the color is fairly close to the color of the original tissue.  Nice.  The little patch on the right must have been an afterthought and still looks orphan.  Hopefully, it does not fall off.  That would suck.  But I think I should be able to eat all the normal foods, except the very raw fruits and vegetables.  The Pineapple Beet Smoothie was an interesting way to use up some of the leftovers - will be making smoothies more often from now on.  Making Honey Mustard chicken for dinner.   To be honest, even aside from the surgery experience, I am not super adventurous when it comes to food.  I do like to try new foods once in a while, but as a general rule, I stick pretty much with the same foods day after day.  You know what they say - it is the variety that will make you fat.  So I do not give myself too many options and opportunities to overeat.  That said, I am pretty much eating the same things I was before the procedure, except cutting them up. 

Sunday - June 6, 2014:
The new gums are looking beautiful.  Still tight. And feels a little weird when moving face around.  But otherwise, it just feels like I got something stuck behind my front lip.  Nothing looks different on the outside.  Keep trying to feel around there with my tongue.  Like it is not enough that people already think I am a freak.  The membrane is actually gone - scar in its place.  Flossed the front teeth very carefully.  No bleeding.  But still brushing with the Ultra Suave.  The area on the palate still feels like a blister.  Hard candy do not really hurt, but definitely feel unpleasant. 

Monday - June 7, 2014:
I think I am ready to stop super coddling my new gums too much.  Maybe I am the one who makes it tough on myself by not letting them be.  I have been letting this process consume me too much.  I need to re-focus.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to take advantage of the First Amendment.