April 14, 2021

FTA: Weeks 1 - 4

 Warning: this is a tragedy. Actually, more of a horror story - stop reading now if you were expecting a comedy. Also, stop reading if you do not want to see any gruesome pictures. I know no one cares about my misfortunes, but sometimes you just want to complain about how unfair life is, even if no one is listening. 


After freaking out of my mind for a few days, constantly googling terms like “finger tip amputation” and “open wound care”, I muddled through life for a couple of weeks. The wound did not seem to be anywhere even remotely close to healed, although the printout that I so generously received in the ER stated that it should only take 2-4 weeks. In utter desperation, I called the nurseline to make sure that what I was doing to care for my stump was correct and that I wasn’t doing anything to slow down the healing process. I was told that I was doing exactly what I was supposed to. So I carried on. 


Turns out, it takes about 4 weeks for an open wound to stop exudating, which by no means means it is fully healed. It will take much much MUCH longer for it to get covered with a normal layer of skin and up to a year to stop being sensitive and for me to actually be able to touch things in the same way I did before. Good news - you can probably stop sleeping with your hand elevated in about 3 weeks. 


Still want nothing, but my appetite was back to normal after a couple of weeks. 


Not ready to resume my full exercise routine, but started walking on my trusty treadmill. It feels and looks awkward, because I have to keep my hand up to keep it from throbbing, but - as I like to say - a little is better than nothing. 


If everything happens for a reason, what is the reason for this happening to me? I longer want to be strong enough to be given this life. 


Day 3
FTA: Day 3

Day 7
FTA: Day 7

Day 10
FTA: Day 10
Week 2
Week 2
Week 3
Week 3
Week 4 
Week 4



Continue reading: Weeks 5 - 6 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to take advantage of the First Amendment.