November 23, 2017

The Challenge of Invisalign: One Year Update

It has been about a year since I first put on my Invisalign aligners. Although I have already posted some of the less known aspects of the treatment, I would like to share a couple of other things that I have learned along the way. I know I would have welcomed this knowledge, when I was making the decision and would have loved to know all the details about the effects of the treatment and any additional expenses that may need to be incurred as the result of opting for Invisalign.

  1. The importance of flossing
As part of the Invisalign deal you have to brush and floss after every meal or snack. You have to make sure your teeth are perfectly clean before you confine them into a moist environment, prone to the growth of cavity-causing bacteria. This has made a world of difference for the health of my mouth. I have numerous crowns that used to inflame every chance they got - several times a year. Now that I have been brushing and flossing after every meal that has not occurred since the start of my treatment. Please floss - it makes a world of difference.

  1. Extra cleanings
You will have to do cleanings about every 3 months. Keep in mind, most dental insurance plans only cover 2 cleanings a year. Thus, you will probably end up paying for the intermittent treatments out of your own pocket. But you will definitely need them. You will feel and see the tartar and other deposits collecting in your month.

  1. Staining
The staining is horrendous. Even the extra dental cleanings cannot do anything about the stains building up around the bonding attachments on your teeth. I always feel self-conscious when I remove my aligners, because my teeth look so ugly. However, my hygienist said that the whitening treatment that you get at the end of the Invisalign treatment will take care of them.

  1. Toothbrush wear & tear
The attachments cause excessive wear on your toothbrush bristles. I have to change the head on my electric toothbrush about every 1.5 months. And that can get pretty pricey.

  1. Interproximal Reduction (IPR)
Sometimes the dentist has to file down the enamel to make space for all teeth to align perfectly in a row. Only a fraction of a millimeter is removed of the 4 millimeter total thickness of the enamel. The process is mildly unpleasant, but it is super fast. My Invisalign girl said that they just do whatever the Invisalign tells them to do. Do not fall for that. Be the judge of your own mouth. Based on some very unfortunately experiences with one of my prior dentists, I make sure that I thoroughly understand what they are planning to do in my mouth and be the primary decision maker to ensure that I do not have anything done other than what is absolutely necessary. However, it was obvious that one of my bottom teeth will not fit, but after the IPR it moved right in to align in a perfect row with the rest of the teeth.

  1. Additional dental work
Invisalign has caused some additional issues. Some of my old fillings were chipped during the process of adding/removing attachments to the teeth. Also, the aligners are so tight, they pulled off one of the crowns and it had to be re-glued back. On the positive side, I did not have any cavities at the last check up and any dental work is being put off until after the Invisalign treatment is complete.

  1. What's next?
Although my teeth already look so much better, I still have several months to go. I suppose the worst part of the process is behind me. After the last set of aligners, you have the final consultation to ensure that you are happy with the results. The retainers will be ordered based on the last set of aligners. Only after the retainers are received, the attachments are removed, teeth are polished and whitened.

Bottom line: Right now I can just feel myself hating these braces more and more. They are high maintenance and tend to interfere and complicate some areas of my life. I will definitely be happier when this process is all over with.

Be sure to contact me, if you have any questions. And stay tuned for the conclusion of my Invisalign journey.

You may also like:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to take advantage of the First Amendment.