September 1, 2014

Basic Salad Formula

Today I made another bucket of salad.  I will never understand why all the restaurants in America call that plate of grass they serve "a salad".  I must be foreign, but the definition of salad for me holds a lot more than a handful of non-nutritious iceberg lettuce and an occasional slice of cucumber and/or a grape tomato. 

I love to make salads in the summer.  Mostly because the endless possibilities make you feel like you are not eating the same thing every day.  I make a huge bowl on Sunday, and my lunch is completely and fabulously different all week.  It does not take much longer than half an hour of shredding and chopping.  And the kitchen stays cool.  Hopefully, this post will give you a couple of new ideas for what to add to your salad.  
The Salad Starter:
     1 head of lettuce (iceberg, romaine, green leaf, dark leaf, spinach, etc.)
     2 carrots, shredded
     1 cucumber, sliced
     5 roma tomatoes, sliced
     1 green pepper, chopped
     3 stalks of celery, chopped

This is your base starter.  You can stop here or you can add practically anything you want to it.  For me it varies depending on what else I have in the fridge that has to be used up or what is on sale at the time. 


Common additions:
     Spinach
     Red, yellow, or orange pepper
     Coleslaw mix
     Purple cabbage, shredded 
     Cilantro
     Parsley
     Avocado
     Green onions
     Canned beets

And of course, I add some protein:
     Ham
     Cheese
     Chicken breast
     Turkey pastrami
     Firm tofu
     Kidney beans
     Tuna
     Imitation crab meat
     Shrimp, cooked
     Cottage cheese, of course
     Hard boiled eggs

Things I do not like in my salad, but you may enjoy:
     Fruit
     Raisins and dried cranberries
     Raw mushrooms
     Raw broccoli
     Croutons
     Nuts
     Chow mein noodles
     Pasta 
     Rice

I also don't care to make my own dressing.  So I use bottled, but sometimes I mix things in for more flavor:
     Garlic powder
     Onion powder
     Salsa
     Dijon mustard
     Barbecue sauce
     Sauerkraut 
     Pickled reddish

Let me know, how you take your salad.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to take advantage of the First Amendment.