February 1, 2018

2018 Monthly Challenge: January


The year of challenges and simplification has only started, but already proved to be a tough one for me. I have to admit - I did not do so well with my January challenge of getting rid of one thing a day every day of the month. While I did get rid of a couple of pairs of shoes, some clothing items, some duplicate kitchen utensils, a few beauty products, some purses and bags, etc., I stopped keeping track after about the 17th of the month, because I seriously have the hardest time getting rid of things just for the heck of getting rid of things. 


The truth is I am planning (dreaming?) of buying a house at some point in my life. Hopefully, sooner rather than later. Yeah yeah yeah I know - it is practically impossible to do that on one female income in the fabulous state of California. Nonetheless - the hope dies last.

Apparently, my philosophy on getting rid of things is something of a Russian ol' skool - "будешь жениться все пригодится". I guess in my mind buying a house is in some sense kind of like getting married, so I may not be that far off. I keep thinking that once I move into my new space, I will need everything. Or I will be able to use anything in some way. 

Considering that most of the things I own are in fairly good shape, I can reasonably justify quietly storing them in random corners of my closets. Plus, aside from my wardrobe, I seem to have everything else under control. 

BOTTOM LINE: I am not super sad that my January challenge was a flop. Moving to my dream home will be the next major decluttering kick in the pants. Until then, I suppose I will simply continue collecting fabulous clothes and shoes. We all collect something,right?

Up next: 2018 Monthly Challenge - No-Booze February. Stay tuned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to take advantage of the First Amendment.